Saturday, April 30, 2011

Reflectioning on Visual Symbols

Most people think they know about the visual symbols they see in their life; I know I thought I did. I think the mistake I made was taking it too literately. I thought of photography and movies, but visuals are really everywhere. We all know the art work for our favorite brand of soda, chips, or even the make-up you wear! They all have very specific visual brands.

A couple weeks into class I had a discussion with a roommate that really helped this whole idea click. We were talking about the classes I was taking and he scoffed when I mentioned Visual Literacy. And I realized, not many people realize how much they SEE. Visual literacy is just another form of reading, which is something I know enough about. We talked about reading road signs and cover art for books, music, and shows. Even when you see a logo or a brand with words that doesn't mean you have to read them, you already know what you are looking at. I feel like I'm look at these things more now that I did before.

No comments:

Post a Comment